There is something very pure and spiritual about a clean and clutter free kitchen. Being in a clean kitchen inspires everyone to cook. A clean kitchen is a way to a healthy family.
There are so many elements to look after in a kitchen, the platform, the cabinets, the shelves, the floor, the appliances, the sink, the tiles above the platform and even the walls need a lot of maintenance in an Indian kitchen because we use so much oil while tempering our spices!
Here the quick list for you :-
· The outer surface of the cabinets can sometimes accumulate a thin layer of oil and smoke. So be sure to wipe it down with a soft cloth, like an old cotton tee or a sponge mop with dish washing liquid at least once a week. Don’t use any ammonia or bleach containing substances.
· The insides of the shelves require a more thorough investigation because remnants of water, liquid substances can slide into cabinets under the platform and cause germs to breed. Use a soft cotton cloth to wipe the area every week. If some hard stains refuse to go, use a drop of dish washing liquid. Let the area dry or use a dry cloth to wipe it dry before closing the cabinet.
· Using shelf paper is a very easy way to maintain your shelves. It limits the contact of utensils with the cabinet surface. Shelf paper can be an old newspaper also. However, if you want something fancy, shelf papers are available in super stores. Change shelf paper frequently to avoid germs.
· Never use any acidic or bleaching solutions on the cabinet surface, they will fade the laminate cover as it is soft and reacts with bleach and ammonia.
· Never use scotch brite or steel wool on these surfaces. They will cause scratches where the look of the cabinet gets marred and also give a place to germs to breed.
· Avoid draping your cabinets with cloths as cloth can collect moisture and cause permanent damage to your cabinet surface.
· For a granite platform, cleaning and maintenance is very easy. Granite is less porous and very hard, so chances of dirt accumulating on the surface is low. All you need is a wet cloth to wipe it down. However, if the surface is oily, use a drop of your dish washing liquid on the wet cloth to wipe it down.
· You can use a hard wipe like a scotchbrite to scrape away any dried food or curry stains followed by the wet cloth wipe down action. If you want a squeaky clean and shiny appearance, use a dry cloth after the wet one to wipe down the platform again.
· Wipe as you go is another tip that takes a load off. Whenever something spills on the platform, wipe it immediately if you can, instead of leaving it till the end. It will save the job of scraping it off later.
· And lastly, keep the platform dry. Moisture breeds germs.
· While washing the sink, please remove all utensils from it. Use dish washing liquid to get rid of the grimy layer and follow it up with a rinse of baking soda and lemon juice solution. Use a scrubber that isn’t too abrasive because stainless tell can scratch easily. Use circular movements to clean difficult stains.
· Do wear gloves.
· To avoid mold growth or water stains, wash the basin with warm, soapy water and a sponge. Rinse along the edge of the basin, as well. Remove water stains from the fixtures.
Wipe down the microwave. Use warm, soapy water and a sponge to wipe any splatters inside your microwave. For really tough stains, use a mixture of 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 quart of water. Rinse with clean water, then dry with a clean rag.
Consult appliance manuals on the best way to clean small appliances. While you can simply wipe each part of an appliance (aside from the electrical part) you should always consult the manual that came with the appliance. Appliances you should clean include:
· your toaster, your coffee maker, your blender and your coffee grinder.
Keep all of the appliance parts together. When you clean your appliances, make sure you know where each part goes. Do not lose any parts of the appliance. Clean each appliance one at a time so as not to get confused.
Kitchen floor maintenance:
Before you deep clean your floor, sweep any specks of dust, crumbs, and garbage that might be on the floor.
Use a mop and bucket of soapy water to deep clean your floor.
After you have finished cleaning, put all cleaning supplies back in their proper place so that you don't trip over them.
Last of all, take out the trash. You should do this last because while you are cleaning you will undoubtedly find things you will want to throw away. Wash the trash can with soap and water. Replace the bag with a new one.